Westmoreland County Agricultural Land Preservation
For the latest news and events from WCALP, please visit our
WCALP News page.
We work to assure that Westmoreland County farmers have
sufficient land to provide the agricultural products needed by the
County and the Commonwealth.
Agricultural Security Areas and Agricultural Conservation Easements
are two of the tools used to preserve the County’s rich agricultural
Our long-term goal is to permanently preserve farmland, and you can
help lead the way.
- Buy locally produced agricultural products.
- Support your local farm markets.
- Teach your children where their food comes from.
- Encourage your locally elected officials to support the
protection of our valuable farmland.
- Consider protecting your farm through an agricultural
“We who have a hand in preserving these farms can
reap a satisfaction that few people can ever feel in a mere ‘job’.
We are involved in keeping in this country one of the real
touchstones of our civilization. Daniel Webster once said in a
speech, “When tillage begins, other arts follow. The farmers,
therefore, are the founders of human civilization.” If he was
correct, and I believe he was, then we who toil in the vineyard of
preservation are the protectors of human civilization.”
Delaware Agricultural Lands Preservation Foundation
The Westmoreland County Agricultural Land Preservation Program was
developed in 1990 to conserve and protect agricultural lands and
assure that farmers in this County have sufficient agricultural
lands to provide farm products for the people of Westmoreland County
and the Commonwealth. The Westmoreland County program has been
approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, and operates
within the guidelines of the Agricultural Security Areas Law (Act of
June 30.1981, P.L. 128, No.43).
Our Mission is to protect viable agricultural lands by acquiring
voluntary agricultural conservation easements, which prevent the
development or improvement of the land for any purpose other than
Further, it is the purpose of this program to:
- Encourage landowners to make a long-term commitment to agriculture
by offering them financial incentives and security of land use.
- Protect farms in agricultural security areas from incompatible
non-farmland uses that may render farming impractical.
- Protect normal farming operations from complaints of public
nuisance against normal farming activities.
- Assure conservation of viable agricultural lands in order to
protect the agricultural economy of this Commonwealth.
- Provide compensation to landowners in exchange for their
relinquishment of the right to develop their private property for
any use other than agriculture.
- Maximize agricultural conservation easement purchase funds and
protect the investment of taxpayers in agricultural conservation
- Use available funds to obtain maximum agricultural conservation
Please feel free to Contact Us with any questions you may have about
agricultural land preservation in Westmoreland County, or concerning
our Agricultural Security Area and Conservation Easement programs.
return to top